Are there better travel choices?
7 November 2016
Sydney is going through a period of unprecedented change, especially when it comes to transport. Understanding these changes and adjusting the way you get to, from and around UNSW and the CBD can help you have a more reliable and stress free journey.
Changing the way you travel can also help you get fitter, save you time, save you money and cut carbon emissions. This is being supported by Travel Choices, who recently visited UNSW and learned how staff might make changes (some even shared their pledges!).
NSW Health reports that 80% of Australians are not getting enough exercise. Walking just 30-minutes a day can:
- Increase cardiovascular fitness, strengthen bones, reduce excess body fat and boost muscle power and endurance
- Improve your mood by releasing endorphins and serotonin
- Enhance concentration and reduced stress
- Reduce your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis
Easy ways to incorporate more walking into your day:
- Walk to or from UNSW a few times a week (if you live too far, get off the bus a stop or two early and walk the rest!)
- Take a long walk at lunch time or during a break between classes
- Take a quick walk around the block as a break to stretch your legs and clear your head throughout the day
- Hold meetings while walking outside, Travel Choices has mapped out various walking routes around UNSW depending on how much time you have.
Transport for NSW’s Travel Choices team and UNSW Sustainability are here to support you on your journey towards active travel, and have some great ideas on how to you can incorporate walking into your daily routine. Get in touch with the Travel Choices team, who can provide additional journey planning information and support for your faculty or student group email@example.com